Header Bar
Welcome to UKtaxadvisors.com - We are regulated by The Chartered Institute of Taxation. Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!

How do I get interest relief on a personal loan

Many people do now know that it is allowable to claim tax relief against a self assessment on interest suffered when the individual has taken out a personal loan, invested the loan into a company. For example, Peter borrowed £1 million and pay £80,000 interest, to invest in a LTD company.


Peter then lends his borrowed funds to his property company and its properties also yield a rental profit of £70,000. Corporation tax at 22% comes to £15,400.


Peter can claim interest relief for £80,000 interest expense on the personal loan As he has borrowed money to invest in his personal company, the interest payable on his borrowings is qualifying interest for which he can claim a tax deduction (up to the lower of his borrowing and his investment in the company) on his personal tax return.  This will produce a tax repayment of £32,000 (£80,000 x 40%). Peter and his company receive an overall tax refund of £16,600 (£32,000 – £15,400). This is regardless of whether the company pays him interest on his investment in the company, but if it does, he must disclose the interest income on his tax return and a deduction on this company return – ideally there is no point of charging interest on the loan.


It important to note that this should be a loan (whether from a third party or bank etc) and not an overdraft. If it is a bank loan then the bank will provide, on request, a certificate showing the interest paid and that will substantiate the deduction that you claim in the self assessment return. The deduction is claimed in box 5 on page 2 of the SA101 form.


Leave a comment


Contact US

Please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

We are a team of tax advisers and accountants. Our role is to provide well thought through tax consultations and tax advice where applicable to you. We also provide a wide range of accounting and financial advice services.

Simply email us your requirements on info@uktaxadvisors.com or using the contact us page HERE and your request is addressed in a matter of minutes. .

Present your request in your own way– quick & easy. Make a short and clear, yet very informative request and this will be forwarded to the right department. An accountant or financial advisor or tax advisor will contact you to start a discussion to provide you a solution.

If you have any documents for Posting - please send us to our main office:

829 Birmingham New Road

If you have any queries or additional questions / comments please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

Contact Us UK Tax Advisors
Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!
Left hand side



Enter the Code above