How do I reclaim tax overpayments
You might have overpaid tax if:
• Your job circumstances changed during the period covered and these can include:
• Had a new job;
• Used an emergency tax code for a while;
• Worked for part of the year;
• Worked more than one job at the same time;
• Changed benefits
• Made redundant
• Become self employed
• Took a job break
• HMRC made a mistake with your tax;
• Your employer used the wrong tax code;
• Other income like investments or rental income reduced but you didn’t tell HMRC
You can telephone or write to tell HMRC why you think you’ve paid too much tax. They may already have everything they need to check your claim. If not, they’ll tell you what information they need. Any refund due for this year may be included with your wages in you are an employee. If you’ve paid too much tax for a previous tax year, HMRC will send you a P800 Tax Calculation and any refund you may be due for the tax years starting on or after 6 April 2008.
If most cases you’ll get back the tax you’ve overpaid as long as you claim on time.