Header Bar
Welcome to UKtaxadvisors.com - We are regulated by The Chartered Institute of Taxation. Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!

How do I reduce tax by claiming costs before you start trading

When starting a business it’s common to incur expenses before the business starts trading. For example, you may purchase equipment or items such as domain names and web hosting which you will pay for using your own personal funds. If these items are purchased solely for use within your new business then yes, you may claim for these expenses when your new business starts trading.

 There are a few points that you’ll need to be mindful of. Firstly, for corporation tax purposes you’re officially allowed to reclaim expenses from the last seven years before trading. For VAT purposes however, it’s just six months. With all cases regarding expenses it’s best to take a pragmatic view.

 With this in mind, I would recommend that you only claim for items in the six months preceding the launch of your new business. When claiming these expenses you need to be confident that you’ve purchased the items specifically and wholly for your new business. For example, you should not claim for equipment you have purchased originally for hobby purposes which you’ve then later decided use in your business. As always, make sure you keep good records of your expenses, including the receipts.

 So in conclusion, yes, you can claim for expenses before your business was formed. Be realistic and honest about what you’re claiming and if the claims are large or complex then do have a chat with an accountant.

Leave a comment


Contact US

Please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

We are a team of tax advisers and accountants. Our role is to provide well thought through tax consultations and tax advice where applicable to you. We also provide a wide range of accounting and financial advice services.

Simply email us your requirements on info@uktaxadvisors.com or using the contact us page HERE and your request is addressed in a matter of minutes. .

Present your request in your own way– quick & easy. Make a short and clear, yet very informative request and this will be forwarded to the right department. An accountant or financial advisor or tax advisor will contact you to start a discussion to provide you a solution.

If you have any documents for Posting - please send us to our main office:

829 Birmingham New Road

If you have any queries or additional questions / comments please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

Contact Us UK Tax Advisors
Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!
Left hand side



Enter the Code above