Header Bar
Welcome to UKtaxadvisors.com - We are regulated by The Chartered Institute of Taxation. Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!

Reverse Premiums for Connected Persons

My client is receiving upfront payments for a lease with family member. Could you please explain how reverse premiums work for tax purposes.

Comments (1)

  • Avatar



    Thanks for posting on UKtaxadvisors.com

    As you may already know reverse premiums are received as payments for entering into a lease. In the past the treatment of reverse premiums was subjective and not clearly defined by the law. However over the years, the legislation has made it clear that reverse premiums are revenue and should be taxed as such. Where the land is used for trading purposes, the reverse premiums are taxed as trading income; and where they relate to property business, then reverse premiums are treated as non-trading UK property business; and spread out over the period of the lease.

    However in your case, where your client entered into an arrangement with a connected person, then there is no option for spreading the income over the lease period, instead all the reverse premiums are charged in the year of receipt..

    Hope this helps. If you have further questions please drop a message.


Leave a comment


Contact US

Please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

We are a team of tax advisers and accountants. Our role is to provide well thought through tax consultations and tax advice where applicable to you. We also provide a wide range of accounting and financial advice services.

Simply email us your requirements on info@uktaxadvisors.com or using the contact us page HERE and your request is addressed in a matter of minutes. .

Present your request in your own way– quick & easy. Make a short and clear, yet very informative request and this will be forwarded to the right department. An accountant or financial advisor or tax advisor will contact you to start a discussion to provide you a solution.

If you have any documents for Posting - please send us to our main office:

829 Birmingham New Road

If you have any queries or additional questions / comments please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

Contact Us UK Tax Advisors
Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!
Left hand side



Enter the Code above