Header Bar
Welcome to UKtaxadvisors.com - We are regulated by The Chartered Institute of Taxation. Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!

Directors loans to the Company – Should a director charge interest and at what rate?

A director/shareholder  lent money to the company. Should the director charge interest- as we intend for the interest to be deducted for tax purposes. And what rate should he charge?

Comments (1)

  • Avatar



    Dear Sir/Madam

    Yes the director can charge interest on the director’s loan.There are no legal restrictions on lending money to a company, and no adverse tax issues for the company or the director / shareholder. The interest can be deductible from company profits as an expense as long as there is written documentation showing that the company agreed to pay the interest and that the rate be commercial and linked to bank rate. However any interest is normally tax neutral in terms of being an allowable expense for the company and chargeable to tax for the lender.

    Also worth mentioning that in the case of lending to the company and the director has other balances like current accounts or shareholder funds with the company, those funds can end up being pooled together/ set off against each other.

    For these reasons its often best avoid directors loan or charging interest unless necessary.

    Hope this helps.


Leave a comment


Contact US

Please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

We are a team of tax advisers and accountants. Our role is to provide well thought through tax consultations and tax advice where applicable to you. We also provide a wide range of accounting and financial advice services.

Simply email us your requirements on info@uktaxadvisors.com or using the contact us page HERE and your request is addressed in a matter of minutes. .

Present your request in your own way– quick & easy. Make a short and clear, yet very informative request and this will be forwarded to the right department. An accountant or financial advisor or tax advisor will contact you to start a discussion to provide you a solution.

If you have any documents for Posting - please send us to our main office:

829 Birmingham New Road

If you have any queries or additional questions / comments please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

Contact Us UK Tax Advisors
Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!
Left hand side



Enter the Code above