Header Bar
Welcome to UKtaxadvisors.com - We are regulated by The Chartered Institute of Taxation. Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!

tax Advise on UK personal tax

My mother who died in December 2011, and was domiciled in England, received two war related compensation pensions from Germany. I am trying to establish if these pensions are exempt from UK Inheritance Tax. I rang the HMRC IHT helpline, but the ‘expert’ could not answer the question. UK tax adviser One pension was BEG (German Compensation Law) paid from Berlin. The other pension was paid by Deutsche Post from Leipzig. The original pension began in 1964 following my father’s death in 1963, when my mother was domiciled in Israel. My mother and I moved to England in 1967. I consulted my mother’s old international law advisor who arranged her pensions in the UK from the 1970s. He replied: ‘The pension from Leipzig is most likely a pension of the German Social Security System. This pension takes into account all those years which were lost due to Nazi persecution. It might also be linked to your father’s history. The pension from Berlin is most likely a pension paid by the local Berlin authorities paid for persecution (again possibly linked to your father and/or your mother).’ He further advised me to contact the Berlin & Leipzig offices to get the Rentenbescheid (the legal reason for the payment) in each case. I have asked a friend in Berlin to phone the offices tomorrow.) ‘However that should only be done after the inheritance tax question has been answered in the U.K.’ Consequently, I wonder if you know the answer to the UK Inheritance Tax question. And if not, if you can recommend anyone who will know.

Leave a comment


Contact US

Please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

We are a team of tax advisers and accountants. Our role is to provide well thought through tax consultations and tax advice where applicable to you. We also provide a wide range of accounting and financial advice services.

Simply email us your requirements on info@uktaxadvisors.com or using the contact us page HERE and your request is addressed in a matter of minutes. .

Present your request in your own way– quick & easy. Make a short and clear, yet very informative request and this will be forwarded to the right department. An accountant or financial advisor or tax advisor will contact you to start a discussion to provide you a solution.

If you have any documents for Posting - please send us to our main office:

829 Birmingham New Road

If you have any queries or additional questions / comments please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

Contact Us UK Tax Advisors
Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!
Left hand side



Enter the Code above