Header Bar
Welcome to UKtaxadvisors.com - We are regulated by The Chartered Institute of Taxation. Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!

Tax living in South Africa working in UK


I am currently working as a permanent employee with a company in the UK and am resident in the UK. However we have now decided to move back to South Africa, but my company would like to keep me employed on a contract basis. I was wondering what would be the most tax efficient way to do this? For them to pay me directly in South Africa or to a Ltd. company in the UK or how? What double taxation comes into play?


Comments (1)

  • Avatar



    Thanks Richard

    There are a number of options/scenarios. Generally once you leave UK you are no longer a UK tax resident. The company should request a PAYE code of NT. Even if it doesnt have this code, once you leave UK you are neither resident nor working in the UK and hence, not subject to UK income tax and UK income tax is not deducted from any of your remuneration.

    That means you are only taxed in SA unless you have UK earned income which will be taxed in UK. UK earned income applies if you are coming to UK and working in UK; or savings/investment income earning from funds in UK etc.

    In simple terms, once you leave UK your employer should not deduct any UK tax and is not allowed to run PAYE on your income – you should be paid GROSS. However there are benefits using LTD (and this depends on your personal taxes in SA, where to locate the LTD –UK, SA, tax haven etc.

    For me to provide a detailed answer with all options/scenarios for you laid on the table, we would charge a small fee for the report. But if you are not interested in a detailed report, this will guide you in making an informed decision.




Leave a comment


Contact US

Please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

We are a team of tax advisers and accountants. Our role is to provide well thought through tax consultations and tax advice where applicable to you. We also provide a wide range of accounting and financial advice services.

Simply email us your requirements on info@uktaxadvisors.com or using the contact us page HERE and your request is addressed in a matter of minutes. .

Present your request in your own way– quick & easy. Make a short and clear, yet very informative request and this will be forwarded to the right department. An accountant or financial advisor or tax advisor will contact you to start a discussion to provide you a solution.

If you have any documents for Posting - please send us to our main office:

829 Birmingham New Road

If you have any queries or additional questions / comments please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

Contact Us UK Tax Advisors
Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!
Left hand side



Enter the Code above