Header Bar
Welcome to UKtaxadvisors.com - We are regulated by The Chartered Institute of Taxation. Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!

Tax on UK property

I am an expat and notified HMRC that I was none resident for tax purposes some 15-20years ago, I have a property in the UK which we have been trying to sell for some time, we finally gave way and accepted a tenant who is now in residence, as a none resident I find it quite strange that HMRC are asking me to pay tax, I commenced my pension in May of this year which is the basic state pension and again I am required to pay 20% how is this so when I get no benefits from the UK at all!

Comments (1)

  • Avatar



    Hi Ray

    The tax office is quite right in asking you to register for tax as rental income from UK is always taxed in UK.

    If you had moved abroad but renting out your old home, or any other UK property, it is important to realise you remain liable to UK tax on those rents and will still need to complete self assessment tax returns. Usually HMRC requires the tenant/estate agent to deduct 20% of the rent and pay to HMRC and at the end of the year you then claim to offset this tax against any tax owed on your self assessment return. If you are due for tax from HMRC ie your rental income is below the personal allowances, then HMRC will refund you if you make a claim.

    One way to resolve this is to register for the non resident landlords’ scheme. If you register you will get your 100% rent and at the end of the year file a tax return. IF there is no tax to pay (in your case when your rental income is less than personal allowances) then its just a matter of filing the paperwork.

    There is also a big advantage of registering for tax in that you are allowed to carry your losses forward – in case you make a profit one day, those losses can be offset against the income (only if you were filing a tax return).

    We can register you for non resident landlords’ scheme – ie you will get your 100% rent and at the end of the year file a tax return. We can also prepare your tax return at the end of the year if this helps.

    If interested in us doing please let me know



Leave a comment


Contact US

Please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

We are a team of tax advisers and accountants. Our role is to provide well thought through tax consultations and tax advice where applicable to you. We also provide a wide range of accounting and financial advice services.

Simply email us your requirements on info@uktaxadvisors.com or using the contact us page HERE and your request is addressed in a matter of minutes. .

Present your request in your own way– quick & easy. Make a short and clear, yet very informative request and this will be forwarded to the right department. An accountant or financial advisor or tax advisor will contact you to start a discussion to provide you a solution.

If you have any documents for Posting - please send us to our main office:

829 Birmingham New Road

If you have any queries or additional questions / comments please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

Contact Us UK Tax Advisors
Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!
Left hand side



Enter the Code above