Header Bar
Welcome to UKtaxadvisors.com - We are regulated by The Chartered Institute of Taxation. Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!

VAT reclaim on commercial to residential conversion

Hi, I just recently bought a commercial property. It had permission to change it into a hotel. However we tried and obtained permission for residential units after exchanging contracts, it was not purchased subject to PP. If we did not get PP we would have converted it into a hotel. The vendor charged us VAT on the property, we offered to submit a 1614 6 months after we agreed terms/price but vendor refused to accept it and did not dissapply the tax as they would have had VAT liability from their end (Capital Goods Scheme). I have now submitted my VAT return to obtain a refund but now HMRC have said VAT was wrongly charged and they will not pay up. They will however pay up when the vendor submits and pays their VAT. I need to know if HMRC are correct and if so why? Does not the fact that: 1) Form 1614 was not given on time so thus vendor does need to charge 2) As we did not have any intention to convert into residential units from the start does this still count as intention to do a conversion 3) Is it normal for HMRC to wait for parties to pay back VAT before paying it back 4) Can I claim VAT back on the conversion works I would really appreciate your UK tax expert help.

Leave a comment


Contact US

Please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

We are a team of tax advisers and accountants. Our role is to provide well thought through tax consultations and tax advice where applicable to you. We also provide a wide range of accounting and financial advice services.

Simply email us your requirements on info@uktaxadvisors.com or using the contact us page HERE and your request is addressed in a matter of minutes. .

Present your request in your own way– quick & easy. Make a short and clear, yet very informative request and this will be forwarded to the right department. An accountant or financial advisor or tax advisor will contact you to start a discussion to provide you a solution.

If you have any documents for Posting - please send us to our main office:

829 Birmingham New Road

If you have any queries or additional questions / comments please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

Contact Us UK Tax Advisors
Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!
Left hand side



Enter the Code above