Header Bar
Welcome to UKtaxadvisors.com - We are regulated by The Chartered Institute of Taxation. Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!

VAT refunds on DIY Homebuilders

If you are building a new home or converting a building into a place to live, whether you do the work yourself or have it done for you, you may be able to reclaim the VAT you pay on some of the building materials and conversion services you use.

Under the scheme, HMRC must refund any VAT chargeable on the supply of any goods used in connection with construction or conversion work where the following conditions are satisfied.

The work must comprise:

(i) the construction of a building designed as a dwelling or number of dwellings;

(ii) the construction of a building for use solely for a relevant residential purpose or for a relevant charitable purpose; or

(iii) a “residential conversion” i.e. the conversion of a non-residential building into either a building designed as a dwelling or a building intended solely for a relevant residential purpose.

The work is carried out lawfully and otherwise than in the course of furtherance of any business.

(c) The goods are building materials which are incorporated in the building in question or its site. Refunds can be claimed on the building materials which would be zero-rated when supplied with the zero-rated work but not on those which would be standard-rated.

(d) The claim is made within such time and in such form and manner, contains such information, and is accompanied by such documents as HMRC require.

When budgeting for your project, you need to be careful to ensure you meet the above requirements. Your project may not qualify at all, or you may not be able to reclaim VAT on everything.

Leave a comment


Contact US

Please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

We are a team of tax advisers and accountants. Our role is to provide well thought through tax consultations and tax advice where applicable to you. We also provide a wide range of accounting and financial advice services.

Simply email us your requirements on info@uktaxadvisors.com or using the contact us page HERE and your request is addressed in a matter of minutes. .

Present your request in your own way– quick & easy. Make a short and clear, yet very informative request and this will be forwarded to the right department. An accountant or financial advisor or tax advisor will contact you to start a discussion to provide you a solution.

If you have any documents for Posting - please send us to our main office:

829 Birmingham New Road

If you have any queries or additional questions / comments please email us on info@uktaxadvisors.com

Contact Us UK Tax Advisors
Get your Accounts and Tax Return completed by qualified accountant from just £120!
Left hand side



Enter the Code above